Ocala Chapter NSDAR Dedication and Remembrance Ceremony – August 26, 2017

The founding ladies of the Ocala NSDAR chapter understood the profound historical significance of Fort King.  In October 1927, they purchased the fort’s memorial property, vowing to promote and protect its history for future generations.

Working tirelessly, they raised the necessary funds and erected a granite monument on the property to honor the men who bravely served our state and country here.  This monument has long been recognized as the landmark of Fort King.

With this dedication and remembrance ceremony the DAR continues this proud tradition of remembering.  A granite bench was dedicated to the ladies of the DAR – past, present, future.  A wreath was placed in honor of those who served and died here at Fort King.  Jeffrey Askew, Director of Marion County Veterans Services, read each name of the 34 soldiers buried at this site.  These men are now interred at the National Cemetery in St. Augustine, Florida.

%d bloggers like this: